Community Relations Programs
4.1 Developing Framework Agreements and Cooperation Protocols
· Sponsor: Nabors Canada Ltd.
· Develops and implements partnership agreements for capacity-building and revenue-sharing arrangements from drilling contracts on Aboriginal lands.
· Sponsors: Graymont Western Canada Inc. and Ts’kw’aylaxw First Nation
· Develops a framework document that identifies opportunities and a process for achieving a sustainable long-term relationship between the First Nation (reserve lands) and Graymont Western.
· Sponsors: Athabasca Tribal Council/ Industry
· A process whereby First Nation communities and industry work together to achieve orderly industrial development, mitigate impacts and ensure that Aboriginal communities share in the benefits of industrial development.
· Sponsors: COGEMA Resources Inc., Cameco Corporation and the Athabascan communities in Saskatchewan
· Establishes a process for managing the concerns identified by Aboriginal and other northern communities and sharing in the benefits resulting from development of the mining industry in northern Saskatchewan.
· Sponsor: Millar Western Forest Products Ltd.
· A broad agreement with the Alexis First Nation that provides support for capacity development facilitates participation in the forestry industry and improves the economic and educational prospects of their community.
· Sponsor: True North Energy
· Provides an innovative community partnership agreement to balance the growing Aboriginal community expectations in north-eastern Alberta with the business need for economic performance.
· Sponsor: Petro-Canada Ltd.
· Establishes a positive relationship through a co-operation protocol for administrative oil and gas referrals in respect to Petro-Canada’s activities in the consultation area.
· Sponsors: Tolko Industries Ltd., Lesser Slave Lake Indian Regional Council (LSLIRC)
· Provides the basis for formalizing communications between the Lesser Slave Lake Indian Regional Council (LSLIRC) and Tolko Industries.
4.2 Building and Sustaining Community Relationships
· Sponsor: Keyano College
· Provides an alternative to mainstream social work education programs utilizing a culturally relevant curriculum with practical solutions for meeting the needs of qualified human service workers.
· Sponsor: Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation
· Provides Aboriginal youth with healthy activities through sport and recreation that renew self-worth and help build leadership in the youth and communities alike.
· Sponsors: COGEMA Resources Inc., Cameco Corporation and Government of Saskatchewan
· A partnership process that involves industry and northern/ Aboriginal communities in monitoring and managing the impact of mining on the vitality (social well-being and quality of life) in northern Saskatchewan communities.
· Sponsors: Keyano College, Nechi Institute
· Provides a holistic alternative to mainstream human services education training programs for community wellness workers by incorporating culturally relevant Aboriginal methods of helping.
· Sponsor: Royal Roads University
· Implements proven conflict prevention, mitigation, containment and resolution techniques to establish, enhance and sustain positive, stable, mutually respectful relations with Aboriginal communities who have an interest in and could be impacted by resource development projects.
· Sponsor: Devon Canada Corporation
· Provides guidance in developing protocols for effective and fair methods to build long-term business relationships with Aboriginal communities through collaborative processes.
· Sponsor: World Bank International Finance Corporation (IFC)
· Helps prioritize development needs and suggests innovative solutions to bridge the gap between business and indigenous peoples.
· Sponsor: TransAlta Corporation
· Helps manage long-term relationships during corporate fluctuations that may influence internal support and priorities for Aboriginal programs.